What is All Buddy Camp?
All Buddy Camp 2016 is a unique volunteer opportunity for rising juniors and seniors attending Charlottesville High School or an Albemarle County public or private high school. A “Big Buddy” at All Buddy Camp is paired with a preschool age student with special needs and works cooperatively with our professional program staff. Buddies work one-on-one with each other for the entire week of All Buddy Camp. The camp is a tribute to Robin and Mani Aldridge, who were committed to children with disabilities, art, and fun!
The Buddy Program experience often satisfies a student’s community service requirements for graduation. In addition, because of this experience, many Buddies have expressed interest in pursuing a career in a related field, including special education, occupational or speech therapy, art and music therapy, etc., as they enter college.
An application process is required for those interested in becoming a Big Buddy. Volunteers who previously served as a Big Buddy during the 2015 camp may re-apply, however there are limited positions for returning Big Buddies. Students accepted into the program will participate in an all-day mandatory orientation session in order to prepare for the experience.
- Completed application and parent permission
- Must be a rising junior or senior attending an Albemarle County or Charlottesville City High School
- Must have a desire to work with preschool age students with disabilities in a fun, structured environment
- Must be able to commit to attending camp at Johnson Elementary School (June 13 – 17, 2016 from 8:30 – 1:00 pm) and the orientation on Sunday, June 12th at Triple C Camp
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers or other community partnerships
- Must be able to provide transportation to and from orientation and service week
- Agree to criminal record/background check/drug screen (at no cost to volunteer)
What it takes to be a good Buddy:
Patience, laughter, respect, enthusiasm, interest in art or music, friendliness, playfulness, and a positive attitude!
For more information about Robin and Mani’s All Buddy Camp contact Sarah Blech at (434) 970-3264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.